Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Foreigner among Foreigners…

Ever since arriving to Sidhbari I have been admiring Dharmshala and McLeod Ganj from afar. From Sidhbari I can see Dharmashala and McLeod Ganj nestled in the foothills of the western Himalayas. When the Chinese occupation of Tibet erupted into violence in 1959, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama and his government were forced to flee their country. Opportunely, the Indian government offered them a new home in Dharamshala/McLeod Ganj, an abandoned colonial hill station. There, the Tibetans rebuilt their government and culture-in-exile. McLeod Ganj offers a unique opportunity to experience the vibrant Tibetan culture firsthand without the persecution and difficulties of Tibet, itself.
Both cities are approximately 10 kilometers from Sidhbari; however, because of strict rules and close watch I was not allowed to leave the CORD premises. Though today my luck changed and I was given approval to visit Dharamshala/McLeod Ganj. Fortunately, my “Sasuma” (strict mother-in-law, that’s what we call her) authorized my escapade, even though she looked at me with a puckered brow and asked me why I wanted to go there? :0)
While driving down the unpaved roads to McLeod Ganj dust flew in through the bus windows. Soot settled into my lungs and dirt fell onto my clothes and hair. I hung onto the bars of the bus while standing and envied those who occupied a seat. I admired the men holding onto the outside of the bus and prayed that they didn’t loosen their grip. As soon as I arrived to McLeod Ganj I began admiring its peaceful and energizing vibe. After a short hike, I arrived in Bhagsu, a popular local site with a waterfall, Bhagsunag Falls. Near the waterfall, monks frequented the retreat caves where they meditated. From Bhagsu, I hiked to Dharamkot. Coffee shops, markets, international restaurants, and Israeli tourists occupied the small village. I was the only English speaking human being from the Americas in sight!
In McLeod Ganj, I walked the markets and visited Tsuglag Khang, the Dalai Lama’s residents and monastery. I turned the prayers wheels and prayed to Buddha. In the hallways the monks raised their voices and clapped, practicing their debating skills amongst each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, do you know if the Dalai Lama is in residence just now? Maybe you'll get to see him... If you do, please tell him hello from me. I've been checking out your NYC pix on James' site and have many questions - great pictures. I'm so glad you have this blog going - it's great to read what you're up to and see your marvelous pictures!

I know you're enjoying India, but really, you're missing a lot in Ottawa. There's the autumn weather and there's... the upcoming election... and um... never mind. You're doing fine where you are.

Monique R, not B