Thursday, September 25, 2008

Who let the dogs out?

It was a dark and windy night when Minal herd footsteps on our roof. She ran into my bedroom with Sejuti in hand when she cried, “There’s a man on our roof! And I heard him say ‘Hut, hut, hut…’” “Shhh…” I exclaimed, “I want to listen too… Quick! Turn off all the lights so he can’t see in our windows. Let’s quietly sit in the middle of the room and pay close attention to the noises on our roof. I want to confirm what you herd…” While sitting in silence, we heard dozens of loud footsteps as well as a man whispering, “Hut, hut, hut…” Goosebumps coated my body as I felt a feeling of terror. Sejuti shrieked and I reminded her to stay calm. “Okay Minal… Why don’t you call Cusum, she can ask the watchman to circulate the house to see who is outside.” Minal called Cusum. Cusum assured us that she was going to immediately send the watchman to the house. While anticipating the watchman’s arrival, I revised self defense techniques in my mind, just in case we were going to be attacked. Shortly after, Minal heard her phone ring and answered Cusum’s call. While trying to hold back from laughter, Cusum explained that the footsteps we heard on our roof were dogs and it was the watchman saying, “Hut, hut, hut” trying to persuade the dogs to jump off. At that very moment, I went outside to find 7 large stray dogs peering down at me from the roof. The watchman climbed onto our roof and began hitting his large baton onto the ground. The dogs growled and snapped while the watchman shouted. Within a jiffy, the 7 dogs leaped off our roof… With relief, Minal, Sejuti, and I looked at each other and began laughing. “Who let the dogs out? Woof… Woof… Woof… Woof…”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the stuff horror movies are made of...

Anonymous said...

WOOPS (or should I say, WOOFS) - I didn't properly finish that last comment, so here goes again...

Sounds like the stuff horror movies are made of... or a bad episode of the X-Files...

Dogs on the roof... How did they do that?