Thursday, September 25, 2008

Special Olympics for the Differently Abled

Opportunely, the organization I am volunteering for, the Chinmaya Organization of Rural Development, hosted the Special Olympics for the state of Himachal Pradesh. The main event was Bocce. Bocce is… And for those of you who are unaware, the Special Olympics is the brainchild of John F. Kennedy Jr. The mission of the Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, by giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with families, other Special Olympic athletes and the community.For three exceptional days the Special Olympic athletes, varying from the ages of 6-26 years old, slept and ate at CORD. For the sporting event we left CORD to go to Dharmashala where the athletes played Bocce on a large playing field. The Special Olympic athletes varied in athletic and intellectual abilities; however, they each had the ability to win my heart. I never knew that I had the capability or the desire to work with the differently abled till now… I truly needed to be immersed in their world and wonderfulness to fully appreciate working with them. When it was time for the athletes to go, one boy approached me and touched my feet (a sign of respect) and another girl wrapped her arms around me and held my hand. Both athletes confirmed that I was their “didi” (sister) and that I had to see them again. One wheelchair bound boy, took a colorful threaded bracelet off his wrist and wrapped it around mine and said, “Now, we’re friends”. He smiled vibrantly, while my heart liquefied onto the floor.


To anyone who is reading this, I recommend to you that you volunteer for the Special Olympics when it is next in your community. I assure you it will be one of the most inspirational days of your life – and will melt away any of the adversities you may think you have. Special Olympians face so many hardships in their day to day lives, yet they still have the capacity to smile and spread their love. If what I am saying to you still is not enough to motivate you to attend the next Special Olympics event, seeing the smiles upon their faces once a medal has been draped around their neck WILL BE.

No comments: